Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Live A Gluten Free Life

Live A Gluten Free Life today is alot easier than it was when I was diagnosed more than ten years ago. The resources online are abundant and easily obtained. Many people also blog about it and many have created Squidoo Lenses on the many aspects of the disease.

Books are also plentiful as well. There are many recipe books that contain recipe that are easy to prepare to the more involved using many different flours. I prefer the simple and basic recipes but I have yet to come across a great pizza crust recipe. I am still searching.

I often ordered food on Internet sites in the very beginning because I had no idea where to shop. Once I discovered a support group which supplied me with the stores that had the wheat-free gluten-free items. Costly to say the least. But definitely something that I needed.

Lacking in the food selection is a good ICE CREAM. However, breads, frozen entrees, and pasta are favorable. Cereal, I usually stay with one kind until I find something new.

I highly recommend Shelley Case's book: Gluten-Free Diet, A comprehensive Resource Guide. Shelly is a dietitian. This book is especially good for the newly diagnosed patient. In it she has charts and describes the different types of flours that are safe to use.

In addition she discusses how to read labels, which is very important to every celiac patient who wants to live a gluten free life.

She also includes a variety of recipes including dairy and non-dairy beverages that are safe for a gluten free life. Among the recipes she includes an extensive list of companies who make gluten free products along with their contact information.

To live a gluten free life one must make sure to avoid cross contamination at home as well as outside of the home. Shelly points this out with some tips to help you with living a gluten free life safely at home and away. Examples include: storing gluten free products separately and including labeling containers with gluten free stickers. Buying the squeeze bottles of all condiments. Toast your breads separately and be sure to wipe the racks before and after toasting. Using separate pots and pans is another example of keeping your foods gluten free.

I rate this book the tops because it is very comprehensive and good for the newbie and veteran celiac patient.

I wish you all a gluten free life.

I'm grateful that you stopped by my blog today.

Live A Gluten Free Life!

Joan Gosselin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Excellent article! It read smoothly and was very informative.
Great work!
Dot